Click Below! You Won't Be Disappointed!!!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

Touch My Face Any Time You Want

Scan the bar code or click here: TGJD Mobile App. Any time you need your Duba fix, tap my face! Like the best stalker, I am everywhere you don't expect me to be. Also, like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/thegreatjimduba and follow me on twitter @thegreatjimduba. I know, I can't believe nobody else had the name either!

Apr 20, 2012

Blog #50! Outrageous Philadelphia Eagles Schedule Evaluation! (a.k.a More Probably Wrong Football Predictions)


What better way to celebrate 50 blogs? I have already gone on and on about my friends' babies' parties, moving, my new home, stupid British movies, Russia, Latvian baby stomping, and highlighted the life of David Bell. Might as well go in depth and look at and examine and go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about my favorite thing other than my family - The Philadelphia Eagles.



Despite not a lot of highlights last season, I got a good a feeling. That feeling, folks, comes at the hands of analyzing the Philadelphia Eagles' 2012 - 2013 schedule. It is certainly not easy by any means for the birds this year, but I have hope. Actually, every year I have hope. Hope at least for an NFC championship game. I do not want that to be their apex, but would be a success and guarantee Andy Reid stays for 5 more years.

A couple months back, the schedule was released amidst questioning of whether or not Andy Reid would be kept on as head coach for the Eagles. A very thinly veiled news conference by owner Jeffrey Lurie simply stated if Andy Reid does not win the Superbowl, he is fired. Before this conference though, people were calling for Andy's head. I was not. I was indifferent, but looking at the 2012-2013 Eagles' opponents, I did not want to have a new coach putting us through the Detroit Lions, Cardinals, NFC South, and AFC North for a miserable season. I think the players who have been there really like Andy Reid, but hopefully they finally decide to show it to him. I really feel like this is the final chapter in the Andy Reid saga in Philadelphia. I predict huge things below, but the Eagles have got to want it. They showed hunger at times last year (and also straight up throwing in the towel), and responded with their backs up against the wall, but it was too little, too late. Getting an actual veteran linebacker from a very nice defense last year was a boost. The rare resigning or contract extensions of key position players I think shows the players that the team is dedicated to them all and would want the same back.

This could also be Vick's last chance in Philadelphia. The 2010 season was not supposed to turn out the way it did. That only raised expectation for an Eagles team that heavily disappointed in 2011. Hopefully, all the cogs are in place, and the fine tuned machine the Eagles were in weeks 13-17 returns. After looking at the schedule and thinking a little more about it, especially after Bounty Gate in New Orleans, I think the NFC is ripe for the taking.

*Please keep in mind that this prediction column assumes no major injuries, Vick finally plays that full 16 (19 actually) games, and nothing catastrophic happens to any current Eagles player.


Week 1 - Eagles at Cleveland Browns
What should be a no brainer will probably turn in to a closer game than it should. Historically, the Eagles do not get off to a great start under Andy Reid. The last time before the last time they played the AFC North, though, they did, finishing 13-3 and going to the Superbowl. The Browns have not changed, and I think after an early struggle of a game, the Eagles smoke them at the end. Eagles 31-17. (1-0)

Week 2: Baltimore Ravens at Eagles
Good. Get these Ravens out of the way first. The last time they met, the infamous "Benching" of Donovan McNabb occurred, and the Eagles went on a huge surge to the NFC title game. The Eagles know they are fairly unsuccessful against other bird teams (having recently lost to the Seahawks, Cardinals, and aforementioned Ravens). I think the ways Baltimore showed they can be exposed during the AFC title game will still be fresh and not addressed by the Ravens. I think Ray Rice is a running back who can be stopped by the Eagles' front 7. Add in the fact a disgruntled Demeco Ryan, upset that his team lost to the Ray Rice-led Ravens in the playoffs, will play extra hard to avenge that loss. Still, that Ravens defense could hurt all our brittle players, but I think Vick makes the most out of Brent Celek...Eagles 14, Ravens 10 (2-0).

Week 3: Eagles at Cardinals
The Angry Birds tour continues as the Eagles look to avenge their scorching loss to the John Skelton led Cardinals last season. I still cannot believe I saw that game in person. Vick should have sat out. I believe the team responds to him. When he is down, so is the rest of the team. Had Vick stepped out and encouraged guys on the sideline, and the run game was utilized more to spell Vince Young, I think the Eagles could have won that game and beaten out the Giants for the playoffs. Such is hindsight. Hopefully the Eagles will have a better answer this time around for Larry Fitzgerald and Beanie Wells. I see this actually being a higher scoring game than it should be, combined with a superstar receiver, Cardinals fans being jacked at their ownership of the Eagles lately, but the fact of the matter remains it is still the more dynamic Eagles offense overcoming the solid effort of the Cardinals. Eagles 30, Cardinals 24. (3-0)

Week 4: New York Giants at Eagles
The last time the Giants won the Superbowl, they went on I believe a 14-2 run. They beat the Eagles in this same spot, making the season look bleak. Alas, in order to finish the season strong, the Eagles got revenge later in the season with the infamous McNabb phone call game in the regular season, followed by a dominating 20-10 win in the divisional round.

Maybe Vick would run to the side and mock kill a puppy. I kid I kid. I actually see the Giants still carrying over their momentum from the post season, and the Eagles have struggled with them at home in recent years. Therefore, as much as it pains me, Giants 28, Eagles 20 (3-1).

Week 5: Eagles at Pittsburgh Steelers
Ugh. Talk about a brutal game after a brutal opponent. The Superbowl year (2004-05) saw McNabb and Owens arguing (more like T.O. laying into McNabb) on the sidelines as they were only able to muster up like 3 points. The following year was a remarkable game that I missed due to a wedding. I remember listening to the game as I had recorded it on my Sirius radio and listened to it all the next day, without any knowledge of what happened. It was one of the best called games ever other than the Miracle at the New Meadowlands (from a Philadelphia broadcast perspective). This is tricky. The Steelers are getting old, but they still hit hard. So does James Harrison, and I have a bad feeling he could knock somebody out in this game. However, the Steelers have been notorious for letting opposing defenses raping the offensive line to take a sack to Big Ben Rapelsberger. I do think the explosiveness of the Eagles' offense can beat that defense, and the pass rush of the Eagles' defense can halt the Steelers offense. Simple game to predict actually, just worried about injuries. Eagles 20, Steelers 10 (4-1)

Week 6: Detroit Lions at Eagles
This is the trap game of the year for them. The Lions could be off to a huge start if Stafford is still healthy. Also, it is not uncommon under Andy Reid for the Eagles to struggle before a bye. The Saints last lit up the Lions, but Detroit tried to stay with them till the end. I think in a shoot-out, Detroit takes it. In a running game, the Eagles will burn the Lions. However, the last time the Lions came to town, the Eagles killed them and made Kevin Curtis look like a star. Then two years ago the Eagles went into Detroit and killed them for 3/4 of the game, only to let them crawl back to make it closer than the rest of the game was. If Detroit does not do much with its secondary and Suh continues undisciplined football, the Eagles could pull it off. Although I don't trust King Dunlap to stop him, but perhaps Demetres Bell will be the Jason Peters lite the Eagles need. No run game for Detroit makes it easier for the Eagles to focus on stopping the explosive pass. I think it would be a true test for Nnamdi. If he can stop Calvin Johnson, then the Eagles will do great things. I just see Juan Castillo allowing his defense to collapse in this game. Sad, sad prediction. What would the Andy Reid era be without 2 miserable weeks pondering about how we lost to the Lions? Detroit 38, Eagles 27 (4-2)

Week 7: Eagles at their Homes, licking their wounds
A week of recovery where every radio host and blogger (minus me) talk about why we lost to the Lions on up to two (2) bonehead plays.

Week 8: Atlanta Falcons at Eagles
The Eagles are 2 and 2 against the Matt Ryan led Falcons. And by this point, I have them 2 and 0 on the Angry Birds revenge tour. Make that 3-0. I think that Atlanta is starting to slide after their dismal playoff showing and what I assume would be a "below-expectations season" thus far. The last time they came to Philadelphia, the Eagles waxed them, not without casualty, though, as Dunta Robinson (one of my all-time scumbag players) killed DeSean Jackson after he had already scored two touchdowns. Ultimately knocking him out of the next couple games, including a loss to the Titans two years ago. Also, under Reid, the Eagles are 13-0 off the bye week. Say what you want, but two weeks to study your opponent and design Falcons-specific formations will lead to a victory. I like streaks. The Undertaker is 20-0 at Wrestlemania, so don't tell me a longer time to prepare is a bad thing. The Eagles will win this, in similar dominating fashion as that of the NY Giants in the playoffs last season. And for a couple weeks we hear national pundits declare Reid a genius while the local guys give him grief for needing two weeks. Eagles 38, Falcons 14 (5-2)

Week 9: Eagles at New Orleans Saints
Talk about another coin flip game. By this point, the Saints' assistant coach Vitt will be back to resume his role as interim head coach. I think the saints may be struggling by this point if player suspensions are handed down in a harsh way. However, New Orleans loves their team and hate Vick. I think that if the Saints have struggled by this point (hard to imagine a team with Drew Brees struggling) then they will have nothing to lose by going guns a blazing on the Eagles. The Eagles will need to show all their heart to beat what I feel will be a desperate team. Unfortunately, this is around the time of the season that the Eagles tend to lose their heart. If Demeco Ryans cannot help control Jimmy Graham, then the Eagles have no chance. HOWEVER, I have a feeling the Saints' season will not go the way their fans would hope and I think everybody will have forgotten what they have said about Drew Brees practically being a coach on the field as even this scenario will be too much for him. Hmmmmm. I cannot imagine Drew Brees losing to Juan Castillo though. However, I never imagined Alex Smith out-dueling Brees, either. I say this could go either way, but because I am a homer, Eagles 30, Saints 27 in OT (6-2)

Week 10: Dallas Cowboys at Eagles
Dallas got waxed the last time they came to Philadelphia and the hype around Demarco Murray died down a little. The Cowboys now have Brandon Carr to help against the speedy receivers, but the rest of their secondary has more holes than _______________(insert hole joke here). I always have an uneasy feeling watching the Eagles take on Dallas, as I think the fans tend to get TOO confident. Who knows, maybe this is the year Tony Romo finally keeps it together for a season? With Laurent Robinson gone, I think you will see Romo have a very bad game, Dez Bryant look mediocre again, and Miles Austin slowly become the pre-Miles Austin Miles Austin again. Not to be one of those too confident Eagles fans, but, c'mon. Eagles 40, Cowboys 21 (7-2)
Week 11: Eagles at Washington Redskins
Ah yes. For 7 whole days we get to hear about the comparisons of RG3 and Vick. Too bad that is about all the Redskin have to compare to the Eagles. I have no faith in the Redskins until they have a first round draft pick again in a couple years. Maybe RG3 will have some heroics in him, but who knows. I certainly could see him being something special for the Redskins, but not at the Eagles' expense. At least not this year. Way Shanahan coaches his team, John Beck may even be the quarterback by the time they meet in week 11. I hope that after a romp of the Cowboys the Eagles do not overlook the 'Skins. I don't think they do, though. Eagles 23, Redskins 13 (8-2)

Week 12: Carolina Panthers at Eagles
Another Monday Night Football meeting with another NFC South Team. The Eagles should feel confident at this point in the season, as they should. I think Michael Vick-Cam Newton comparisons begin again, and the media declares Newton to be what everybody hoped Vick would be. I think this energizes Vick and he makes the Panthers defense look like he did the Redskins defense in that infamous 60 point game on Monday night a couple years back. I do not think this game will be an easy task as I believe the NFC south is to be a toss up between the Saints (should they keep it together) and the Panthers, if not the Panthers outright. I hope Juan Castillo has learned to play against the run (like he eventually learned a few weeks before the end of last season) and remembers how to. My only concern is Andy Reid not allowing much running of the ball, which is a noted weakness in the Panthers' defense. Regardless, I think this game is close and represents a future playoff game. Eagles 28, Panthers 20 (9-2)

Week 13: Eagles at Dallas Cowboys
Hello again, Prime Time TV. Hello angry radio broadcasts in Philadelphia on the following Monday morning. I say this is a game that the Eagles are going to lose. But how they lose, now that is what matters. If it is due to turnovers by the offense, that can be fixed I think through protections and practice. Same thing if a bonehead defensive play results in a go ahead score. I don't accept any losses, but one to the Cowboys in a back and forth game is not the end of the world. A collapse and Tony Romo led comeback could spell doom for the Eagles. It would be absolutely awful if my predictions play out as I have detailed only for them to finish the season struggling to close out games. I think that by this point in the season, Tony Romo knows that he is in a make or break year, Jerry Jones finds a way to light a fire, and the Cowboys beat the Eagles in what I feel should be a very remarkable game. Cowboys 21, Eagles 17 (9-3)

Week 14: Eagles at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Ah the Bucs. A team that thinks it is better than what they truly are. Last relevant when Jeff Garcia was their QB, in my opinion. Josh Freeman showed some potential 2 years ago, and the coaching philosophy changed to a more pass-happy offense thinking he could carry the burden. Hard for a second year guy to do that when he has garbage to throw to. Now the Bucs have gone on a spending spree and have a new coach. New coaches on any level combined with free-agent spending out the wazoo nets you an 8-8 record (see 2011, Eagles). I think the Bucs will spend the week discussing how they are tired of being disrespected by the media and will be looking to take down the charging Eagles. The Bucs will want to play spoiler by this point. I will probably have traded for Vincent Jackson well before this game, get mad at his (lack of) production, and sit him against the Eagles, where he will have his best game of the year. Still, I do not see this year's version of the Eagles losing two games in a row, ever. The Eagles bounce back and completely knock the snot out of Tampa Bay. Eagles 42, Buccaneers 13 (10-3)

Week 15: Cincinnati Bengals at Eagles (TNF)
This is way, way better than last year's TNF game for the Eagles. Last year, after getting gauged by the Patriots, the Eagles flew to Seattle for another thrashing, 4 days later. Yes, they went on a run to try to salvage the season, but too little, too late. The Bengals are slowly becoming a team I am more interested in because I like their style of play. I like Andy Dalton's play last year. They have some good talent on both sides of the ball, but as McNabb would say, they show their youth. This will be a tough game as I am sure the Bengals will be in the hunt all year in the AFC North. The last time they played, it was a tie. As I heard Merrill Riece say on the radio, "If a tie is like kissing your sister, than the Eagles have a very ugly sister." This is a different type of Eagles team that I think is running on all cylinders (like we hoped for last year) - the same team that demolished the Jets, Giants, Dolphins, Redskins, and Cowboys at the end of the year (and YES Giants fans, I consider Vince Young beating your team by a touchdown in their own stadium to be worthy of the term "demolish"). It will probably be a tough game at start, but the Eagles will just prove to be too powerful on both sides of the ball. As if I was not bold enough in having the Eagles going 10-3 to this point and soon 11-3, I will also predict that Brent Celek has the game winning touchdown in a late rally. Eagles 24, Bengals 20 (11-3)

Week 16: Washington Redskins at Eagles
By this point, the NFC is in the Eagles' hands. With Chicago and Green Bay killing each other over the No. 2 and 5 seeds, the Eagles uncharacteristically play with a foot on the throat mentally. RG3 will show some resiliency in this game, and a foreshadowing of things to come, but it will not be enough when Vick is pulled for the game in the third quarter, as at least the Number 2 seed is guaranteed by this point. However, a team far removed from Donovan McNabb wants to be the best for once and walk away with a victory as the Eagles fans rejoice and make the Linc rock and roll all day as this will be the last time the Eagles play in front of them for 3 weeks (in NY week 17, off week 18, then back home for Week 19). Eagles 30, Redskins 21 (12-3).

Week 17: Eagles at New York Giants
Currently scheduled as a day game, I think that due to the nature of the season, it will stay that way. If I am way off or if New York keeps pace, then this will be the last game of the regular season on Sunday Night Football. Conversely, I see the night game a toss up between Saints-Panthers or Ravens-Bengals, as I think those divisional battles will have more meaning. Hopefully, if the Eagles have secured home field, I cannot see Andy Reid getting more than one quarter out of his starters. The Giants play hard, too, and look forward to a strong playoff run, this year from the 6 seed. Giants 24, Eagles 10 (12-4)

Week 18: Bye week, but for shits and giggles, let's see Giants over 49ers (at San Fran), Bears over Panthers (at Carolina) in the NFC, and Bengals over Ravens (at Baltimore), and Texans over Steelers (at Houston).

Week 19: Eagles over Giants (at Philadelphia), Packers over Giants (at Green Bay) in the NFC, and Patriots over Bengals (at New England) and Broncos over Texans in OT (at Denver)

Week 20: Eagles over Packers for the NFC Championship (at Philadelphia) and Broncos over Patriots for the AFC Championship (at New England).

And finally, in Superbowl whatever in Wherever, Some State, the Philadelphia Eagles vs. the Denver Broncos. Eagles vs. Peyton. Eagles vs. Dawkins. Fox vs. Reid. Mr. Perfect Football (Peyton Manning) vs. the #3 Most Hated Man in Sports (Mike Vick). It would be a tough superbowl, as I always wanted to see Bryan Dawkins get a ring, but always wanted the Eagles to win one, too. I think this is the last chance for either (Dawkins may retire, and Eagles I expect to go down soon). Hey, I can dream, right?
 
Finally, if you made it this far, thank you all so much for reading. I really do get excited whenever I see a spike in my viewership, a new country, or any comments. I get so excited, but I actually can hide it.

No comments:

Post a Comment