Click Below! You Won't Be Disappointed!!!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

Touch My Face Any Time You Want

Scan the bar code or click here: TGJD Mobile App. Any time you need your Duba fix, tap my face! Like the best stalker, I am everywhere you don't expect me to be. Also, like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/thegreatjimduba and follow me on twitter @thegreatjimduba. I know, I can't believe nobody else had the name either!

Apr 18, 2012

New Life and Apartment Review!

They say home is what you make it. They also are a group of people we always refer to who I do not know. This past weekend, I had a milestone moment in my life where I officially moved in with my girlfriend of almost three years and her 5 (soon to be 6) year old son. We have become our own little family that has grown to support each other in every way possible. Kim has certainly become my best friend and a very willing partner, and vice versa, and has completely reinvigorated my life. Rocco has, as he has gotten older, matured enough to the point where he understands I may not be daddy, but I am his "step-dad" - unofficially - and am there to be his parent first, and a best friend second. We have lived at her parents' house for the past year where we had a whole floor to ourselves for living space and we had dinner together almost every day and were always together as an extended family and I have always been made to feel like a welcome addition. With that being said, with a new school year approaching and Rocco whizzing through home-schooled online kindergarten, it was time for us to up and leave to the next town over and get him in a more favorable school district without being too far from her parents (as her mom has stepped up for years to assist with Rocco so that Kim may continue her professional career - if not for her, Kim and I would not be able to do what he have done to this point).

So, now that my sentimentality has bored you to death, let me get on with the review of our new apartment, our new home for the forseeable future, and see how it stacks up compared to my past living arrangements.

First, to understand where I am, you have to know where I have been. That is something else that "they" say. My first and only home until I was 18 was at my parents house in Cinnaminson, New Jersey. I was a very fortunate kid that was able to be born, grow up, and always come home to the same house. I know it would be a sad day when my parents decide to move on. When I graduated high school, I attended the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut. I was on my own for the first time, but had the structure of the military to keep me in check. I met a hodge-podge of people, learned a little bit about the Ukraine (don't worry Russia, you are still my #2), and had to live on $90/month - which was fine considering as a freshman or "4th Class" everything you needed was right in front of you. After a year there, I decided it wasn't for me and moved back home. I commuted to Drexel University in Philadelphia and frequently visited my friends at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) - which became my second home. Landis, Anderson, and Big Jim always gave me a place to stay and I was forever grateful and have many memories that I probably shouldn't have. Through Drexel, I completed three internships, 6 months at a time, from 2000 to 2002. My first year I stayed up in Reading working at the local steel mill. Reading was an odd town. It had its beautiful parts and then its violent, stay away at night parts. I was caught up in a protest through the streets one day back when the U.S. decided to test out some bombs or missiles in a vacant spot of Puerto Rico. Several protesters of Puerto Rican descent surrounded my car and I was legitimately scared. Another day I was driving (my internships were always during the summer) with the windows down, listening to George Thorogood. A car full of black kids pulled up, screamed, "Cracker, turn that shit off," and stared at me until I had left the traffic light. Nothing happened, but when you are a 20 year old kid living by yourself in a neighborhood that could be legitimately dangerous (a 9-year old kid shot an 8-year old to death the week before down the street), you panic a little. I lived in Pottstown the next two internships and realized there were two sections - the right and the wrong side of the tracks. I was on the wrong side, but never really experienced anything too bad there. The first year I stayed in a converted attic turned studio apartment. It was nice for a 21 year old bachelor away from his family and friends. I lived on a futon watching Anchorman, Saving Silverman, and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back every night while living out of boxes and eating carrots by the bagful. The next year I got a one bedroom apartment, however I practically lived just out of the living room, studio style. I had a queen sized air mattress and a bed stand, but in a room with window air conditioners, again on the third floor, it was impossible to be comfortable on it. That experience went well until my coked up downstairs neighbor tried to get me into a drug deal. It was escalating pretty quick and thankfully my brother let me come to his house for my last month of the internship. In between the second and third internship, I participated in the Sea Education Association (SEA) program in Woodshole, Massachusetts, for 6 weeks. It was a quiet little town and I shared a 3-bedroom, coed house with two other guys. It was what it was and I had a good time while learning about the sea and how to get around. I was supposed to then go to sea, living on a sailboat for 6 weeks, but my trip was cut short due to a near death two-week nightmare, but that is a story for another day.

Eventually, I became an adult. I got engaged and practically lived at my fiance's house. It was hectic having one room and constantly going back to my parents house and getting what I needed. Then eventually I moved into a home in Cherry Hill. I loved my house, but the memories I had there were not so great. However, without all the struggles I had there, I really do not think I would be where or who I am today. After learning how to flip a house the hardway and splitting with my then wife, I moved on to a two bedroom apartment in Gloucester City. At this point, I had been dating Kim for a few months, but it was pretty serious. I was halfway between her and my office. I got the two bedroom place so that Rocco could feel like he had his own place to stay when they would spend the weekend in GC. It turns out I spent very little time there over my one year lease, although we did have some nice weekends away there. Eventually the lease ran out, Kim and her parents worked out an arrangement, and I moved in to permenantly be with Rocco and Kim. It felt a little cramped at times due to sharing a house with 2 to 3 other people, and I used a storage unit nearby to house stuff that couldn't make it into Casa de Parentes. So, when the moment was right, and money was saved, we got off to our start on our own.

Which, after all that, leads us to...

Duba's New Apartment Review

We live on a second floor, two bedroom apartment now. I have yet to achieve groundlevel status in my life, but that is okay. The detail in the second floor apartment was way more noticable than in the available first floor unit. It was just nicer all around and we loved it the minute we saw it. Somebody else was applying for it, but we waited and luckily were chosen to stay there.

Bathroom Review - The bathroom is the smallest room in the house, yet the most important for starting and finishing the day! I know my days always start and end there, but it serves its functions. I like the fact there is a window in the shower wall (with frosted glass, you peeping Toms!) that helps with ventilation. It was recently updated, so it has a nice appearance. Not a lot of storage, but that is up to us to solve.

Master Bedroom turned into Kid Room Review - Upon going to the apartment after signing our lease papers, Kim and I walked around the place envisioning where everything would go. She insisted on giving Rocco the master bedroom. This was due to several factors - he has the most furniture, he has toys out the wazoo that we would prefer stay out of other rooms, the space would be needed to share should any future child magically show up (and shouldn't as long as the calendar still says 2012). I arranged everything the other night and he is freaked out by the amount of play space he has. I was hesitant at first about this decision, but it was for the best and ultimately it was the right choice. Nothing can take the place of your child being happy.

Kid Bedroom turned Master Bedroom Review - Subsequently, Kim and I took the smaller room. The only furniture we have though is a night stand, TV shelf, and a dresser. I put my hanging clothes in that closet, Kim goes into Rocco's room (bigger closet), and Rocco has his own armoir. The room is arranged in the most efficient way and I believe there is plenty of space there. Not much is needed in a bedroom and everything I need is right there.

Living Room Review - Certainly to be the most used part of our apartment, it is a great size that we already have two couches in that have taken very little space. Next phase of our move in will be setting up the computer, TV, couches, and other decorating to turn into our happy home. There is plenty of room for me to continue to dominate at "Just Dance" - regardless of which edition of the game is being played. Two windows that face our neighbors may not be ideal, but at least it isn't a window-to-window view like my apartment in GC. There is enough space between the two buildings that this is fine.

Kitchen Review - Clearly the most renovated part of the apartment. Pergo floors, new dishwasher, half-decent stove/oven/hood/microwave setup. Nice looking cabinets and a couple windows, too. Kim absolutely loves the kitchen. It is great that there are so many individualized sections of the counter where we can both stand there and do certain things. It is a nice spot for me to go and make the day's coffee and prep for my day as well. Plenty of storage cabinets that are still needing to be filled, but at least everything we need is easily accessible right now. Even the stuff we will eventually get that we probably wouldn't need will be easily accessible.

Balcony Review - I have access to a balcony through a door in the kitchen. There is not much to it, just a bunch of wooden planks and metal hand rail. The only advantage to the downstairs unit was that the balcony had shade. However, by midday, the sun is shaded out on the second floor balcony. The deck does need to have some nails smacked back down and the planks have small spaces in between them that Rocco has already lost one toy through.

Overall - Each room (minus bathroom) and living space/kitchen has a newer ceiling fan. There is central air in the unit as well that is awesome. The past two years of ceiling fanless living and window air conditioning was difficult for me, a hairy sweat hog. We can open the windows and get a nice breeze throughout the apartment that was a nice surprise. Plus our landlord has been responsive thus far with any issue we had on our move in forms and everything should be taken care of by week's end.

All in all, this is the most exciting of all my moves. It is the perfect sized space. Last night, Kim/Rocco's friend/kids came over to see the place, Rocco and his friend played for hours, out of sight but we could still hear everything at a volume loud enough where we could check up on them. Once the two Uhaul trucks worth of boxes, furniture, and knick-knacks have been placed, I am looking forward to us kicking our feet up and enjoying the good life.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment