Click Below! You Won't Be Disappointed!!!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

Touch My Face Any Time You Want

Scan the bar code or click here: TGJD Mobile App. Any time you need your Duba fix, tap my face! Like the best stalker, I am everywhere you don't expect me to be. Also, like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/thegreatjimduba and follow me on twitter @thegreatjimduba. I know, I can't believe nobody else had the name either!

May 11, 2012

Philadelphia Sports True-False-Or-To-Be-Determined

Okay, I stole this topic idea from another website but I plan to apply the theme to my own agenda. I will make three statements about the active teams in Philadelphia right now (this would not be possible to write if the Flyers had advanced in the playoffs and are less than a week into the off-season).

The Philadelphia Eagles will have a great, much improved season - TRUE

I think this is bold, and despite my obvious bias to this team as noted in this site's color scheme, I am pretty confident in this. I picked the Eagles in my 50th celebration blog to go 12 and 4. In hindsight, I can see 11 and 5. That would make winning the NFC East a little tricky. However, I do not see, barring major injuries, anything stopping the Eagles from being a juggernaut. Their defense improved last year, and while it may be a "fool's gold" scenario, if you don't beat the poor teams, how can you beat the good ones? The Eagles have a lot of good teams to compete with this year. They play against 7 playoff teams from last season, including the Super Bowl champs. They play the real toughest division in football, the AFC North. Then the second toughest (NFC East) and the third toughest (NFC South). They have garnered depth in key spots including linebacker. The only worry I have is Demeco Ryans adapting to the Wide 9 scheme and LT Demetres Bell being a viable replacement for Jason Peters. I think with a happy Desean Jackson, a hungry Lesean Mccoy (collectively known as "Los Seans" to me), and a desperate coach and QB, and a defense looking for redemption, this could be a great season. I still predict them making the Super Bowl. However, if they go 11-5, they will be the 5th seed and not win the NFC East. I just hope that if that is the case, it will be the 2008-2009 season all over again, with better results. I hope the Eagles realize they have to, and CAN, earn every victory, not just expect it.

Andre Iguodala Redeemed his middling years in Philadelphia - TO BE DETERMINED

Not a big watch-basketball-on-TV guy, but I read almost every recap of every Philadelphia team. I tuned to the 76ers-Bulls game JUST AFTER the game ended and was upset I missed something historic. All (shortened) season long I heard morning show after morning show trash Andre to the degree that he should be traded or benched or catapulted out of Philadelphia. He is almost like the Donovan McNabb of basketball. With less success. However, as seen here, he was dominant for 5 seconds of critical action. I always thought the last two minutes of basketball are the most crucial, as I have seen a team come back from 10 points down and win with two minutes to go. The drive and determination of Iguodala to get the rebound, drive down the court with his eyes fixed to the net, to desire to let the team ride or die on his shoulders, was pretty impressive. I don't know if that was any kind of designed play or if he just willed it to happen. Then, one of the worst free-throw shooters in the league swished the two baskets he will probably be the most remembered for at the moment. This one play, after watching it several times, was very Allen Iverson-esque. So, has he redeemed himself? No. He needs to play like this in the next series, and if possible, beyond the next series. The 76ers are now playing with house money. Sure, they beat an injured bulls team, but the Bulls without Derrick Rose still wone 2/3 of those games. Maybe that Noah guy was hurt, but the good teams, especially a number 1 seed, should find a way to win against a team that struggled down the second half of a season as well as the second half of the elimination game. If Iguodala plays like he did in these five seconds for the series against the Celtics, win lose or draw he should redeem himself. If he continues to play like the frustration sensation, then he will be out of the city next year. Go 76ers!

When the remainder of the Phillies lineup is healthy, they will get back to World Series form - FALSE

As much as I hate baseball discussion, I truly believe the Phillies will be in trouble this year. Philadelphia fans are quick to react to negativity. Baseball is very fluid. The last time the phillies were this many games below .500, was 2007 where they rallied from some ridiculously large number of games behind the Mets to win the first of 5 consecutive NL East penants. However, only one player in the current lineup still remains from that team - Jimmy Rollins. Who is old. Returning from injury in the foreseeable future are Ryan Howard and Chase Utley - who are both old. I expect more from Ryan Howard than Chase Utley - who should probably hang it up at the end of the year. They do bring a different strategy to pitching against the Phillies, however. Howard and Utley may not do so great like back in the day, but they could certainly positively influence others in the lineup. I am not concerned about that. The real concern should be at pitching. Halladay, an ace, gave up how many runs to the Mets? Aren't they baseball's joke? Cole Hamels, another ace, intentionally (and admittedly) beans a 19 year old punk to prove an imaginary point and is suspended? Cliff Lee, an ace, wait, didn't he blow a game against the Cardinals that turned the series around(?), is returning from injury, only to get shelled, that he sustained while pitching into the 10th inning? Vance Worley and Joe Blanton are serviceable. Kyle Kendrick is back to his team-suicide self. The great Papelbon has already blown a save and is asked to pitch 4-6 out saves as opposed to the brilliant three out saves Brad Lidge provided in 2008. If you think the lineup is the problem, which has shown signs and highs-lows in the past couple games, is the problem, then you are delusional. The pitching is the problem. The Phillies should have the team built around Cole Hamels moving forward. Keep up the playoff appearances and the remaining and available better players will always come knocking on your door. When the Phillies fall apart, they fall hard. This is not going to be a good year and the sell-outs will stop and they may just miss the playoffs, and it won't even be close.

No comments:

Post a Comment