Click Below! You Won't Be Disappointed!!!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

Touch My Face Any Time You Want

Scan the bar code or click here: TGJD Mobile App. Any time you need your Duba fix, tap my face! Like the best stalker, I am everywhere you don't expect me to be. Also, like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/thegreatjimduba and follow me on twitter @thegreatjimduba. I know, I can't believe nobody else had the name either!

Aug 31, 2012

Flipping The Bird: Asking Myself Questions About the Eagles

The preseason for the Eagles is over. They went undefeated for the first time I can remember since I cared about the preseason. What we learned was Mike Vick may be a huge liability. We have a capable backup that people are clamoring for or want to watch develop. We have a revolving door of defensive linemen each as capable as the rest and a budding linebacker we actually drafted. Phillip Hunt and King Dunlap will be key pieces to our offensive and defensive line, whether it is as a starter or backup. Demeco Ryans is meh.
 
So, what does that leave me to do in this post? Answer questions like this.
 
Q: With the limited amount of preseason you saw due to commitment to flag football coaching, what was the biggest highlight?
 
A: Three things I took away: 1) Vick standing with Andy Reid, away fromt he rest of the team, during the Garrett Reid tribute - symbolizing a unified coach and quarterback and probably a symbolic shot that if one is to succeed the other has to and if one fails they both will. 2) Alex Henery can kick like a champ and in the often boom/bust offense of the Eagles he may be one of our most valuable weapons. 3) The rookies are smart - Nick Foles could be our future and it could be a good one and the young receivers showed some great field awareness.
 
Q: What position concerns you the most?
 
A: The one where I am face down on the operating table and a nurse begins to shave my ass as I fall asleep. I have two: wide receiver and secondary. Wide receiver may be a stretch, but think about how fragile these guys are. I think Maclin is generally a tough player and he is over his 2011 illness and bulked up a little. DeSean Jackson is one more high wind away from another concussion, and Jason Avant was not himself last year. I worry that a battle may start occurring for the third receiver slot if Avant can't come back into form, but I think he will. If not, you don't want a second string guy in there going from one QB and protection package to another and expect third down conversion success. The secondary is tough because with all the pressure the line will get on the QB I see some quick dumpoff passes where the pass catcher will break away from the linebackers. Who will stop them then? Supposedly Cromartie had a really good preseason and last year Kurt Coleman led the team in tackles for a while. I just worry that you will see many Eagles' gloves bouncing off receivers as I don't think those guys have made tackles since high school.
 
Q: Who would you trust on your fantasy team from the 2012 Eagles?
 
A: Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek, LeSean McCoy. I think if Vick goes down Nick Foles will still be a capable fill in for these three players. I would roll with Vick (when he is healthy) against teams with a poor pass rush. I would use Jackson against teams with said poor pass rush and at the most an average secondary. If Vick has time to stand back and coverage in the secondary is weak, Vick to Jackson all day will spell victory. I used to love Vick on my teams, but I view him now as a situational player. I think no matter who they play coverage will roll to Jackson, freeing up the (slightly) bigger Maclin. Teams will also have to be slightly biased to Maclin therefore making Celek a good option to break open a play every game. I love when Brent Celek jumps over people.
 
Q: Do you plan to go to any games this year?
 
A: It all depends who can get me tickets to go for free. I have gone to one free game with Jay, Brandon, and Landis the past two years and hopefully that tradition can continue. I was given some tickets by a subcontractor last year that I used frequently as a thank you for my continued service.
 
Q: What was the best Eagles game you ever went to?
 
A: Hmmmm. So many to choose from, unfortunately all from the past two years. It may be easier to recap these games. Well, in 2010 I saw the Eagles march down the field and come back on Peyton Manning and the Colts. That was nice. Especially when you have Landis yelling "You can't beat us we got the doggy killer!" They also did the same to the Texans on Thursday night, which also was cool. Brandon and I watched that game from "Standing Room Only" which made the entire stadium our viewing section. It was cold yes but awesome to see them take a lead, give it up, and then march back down and take the victory and add to it. I also saw opening day 2010 when Kolb came on and disappointed everybody. Leonard Weaver, my then favorite player, went down when his knee cap exploded out the back of his leg. The Eagles were down 17-3 to the Packers. In comes Vick after Kolb leaves the game. His first series he goes on a long run, obviously straight into awaiting Packers at the goal line. He dove toward the end zone anyway as the defenders jump smashed him out of bounds at the 3 yard line. The crowd erupted at the heroic effort and he won me over as a fan that day. The worst game of 2010 was the return of Donovan McNabb with the Redskins. Vick got hurt mid-game and Kolb came in. Clinton Portis bowled over our defenders. Kolb couldn't hit the ground if he was intentionally grounding. It was bad. A black guy behind us kept screaming to Kolb "That why you a backup!!!" A very drunk guy next to me would stare at the ground and say, "You got the ball down by 7 in your half of the field you should establish the punt first." And my new football catch phrase was coined (read: stolen). McNabb was driving his team when on third down Landis yelled out "C'mon throw it to his feet." A few seconds later incomplete pass to Santana Moss's feet. Landis quipped, "Yeah! I'm play calling!" In 2011, Jay treated us again to an Eagles game - against the Arizona Cardinals. We seem to get the "Return to Philadelphia" games for ex Eagles quarterbacks. Sho'nuff, Vick got hurt again, refused to sit out, Kolb was pulled, and John Skelton came back and Beanie Wells stomped on the Eagles. We all legitimately felt like shit that night. I was treated the following week to the Eagles playing the Giants at the Giants. Vince Young led the Eagles back. I was sitting in end zone the Eagles were marching to in the fourth quarter. I could see the play develop when Riley Cooper got open in the end zone just as Young was releasing the ball. Excellent play excellent touchdown and outstanding game. It was weird how quiet a stadium is outside of Philadelphia when the home team gets deflated. Anyway, we started to exit and after every play we would run down the concourse and watch the next play on the TV. I told Brandon, "Once they get an interception, we can just head on out." One more concourse level down and Samuel picked off Eli. Game over. 2 hour drive home. The season was an abortion at this point, but it was a fun experience.
 
Q: Have your bold predictions for the Eagles changed after watching these games?
 
A: In a nutshell, no. I think any injury other than paralysis will only keep Vick temporarily off the field and his style of play will not change whence he returns. Foles could be serviceable by then but he is a rookie. Our veteran makes mistakes, too, that are just as costly. As long as either one of those quarterbacks can be the leader they need to be while playing on the offensive side. I think our defense will continue to give up bursts of points, but in smaller amounts this time enabling the Eagles to hold on to some of their more closer victories. So yes, Sky is still the limit for this team.
 
Q: Who is your favorite Eagle now?
 
A: It used to be Dawkins, and after he left I took likings to Brent Celek and Jason Avant. Avant used to have sure hands and would salute God after every catch with his "Praise Ye" hand shake to the sky. Celek would make a catch, run into somebody, and awkwardly sit, trip, or hump the opposing defender. Then he started jumping over people. On defense, I am rooting for Trent Cole all day. Babin is fantastic, but Cole has been an Eagle his whole career. I am hoping Havili stays on as fullback and has a propserous and notorious career.
 
Q: Is this the end of your post?
 
A: Yes. Stay tuned for next week's installment of "Flipping the Bird" where I preview opening day.
 
Q: Seriously, that's it?
 
A: Yes.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment