Click Below! You Won't Be Disappointed!!!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

Touch My Face Any Time You Want

Scan the bar code or click here: TGJD Mobile App. Any time you need your Duba fix, tap my face! Like the best stalker, I am everywhere you don't expect me to be. Also, like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/thegreatjimduba and follow me on twitter @thegreatjimduba. I know, I can't believe nobody else had the name either!

Oct 5, 2012

Flipping the Bird: Both a Tardy Look and a Sigh of Relief Review of the Philadelphia Eagles

Well, Week 5 is here, and I really didn't get to give my shpiel on the Eagles loss to the Cardinals. Bottom line - that game was atrocious and I saw more early 2011 Eagles instead of the We Can Beat Anybody In The Final Two Minutes Eagles of 2012. I was way off on my prediction. You can say what you want about whether they ran the ball or not and why did they wait yadda yadda yadda. Bottom line - I think they took the Cardinals lightly and it cost them. I also think they got to ride a high of beating the Patriots. The Dolphins almost beat them last year, and the Rams just dominated them last night. Luckily the loss balanced itself out with a win as I predicted this back in July:

Week 4: New York Giants at Eagles
The last time the Giants won the Superbowl, they went on I believe a 14-2 run. They beat the Eagles in this same spot, making the season look bleak. Alas, in order to finish the season strong, the Eagles got revenge later in the season with the infamous McNabb phone call game in the regular season, followed by a dominating 20-10 win in the divisional round.

Maybe Vick would run to the side and mock kill a puppy. I kid I kid. I actually see the Giants still carrying over their momentum from the post season, and the Eagles have struggled with them at home in recent years. Therefore, as much as it pains me, Giants 28, Eagles 20 (3-1).

Fortunately, the Eagles won this game. And they found a way to win again. Minus the second defensive stand by them, I thought the Eagles defense was great. Minus the Arizona game, I see the Eagles actually making adjustments, actually having a game plan evolve. The Eagles also have exhibited another trait I previously stated they needed to have - the will to win. You cannot teach that. You find it. Luckily, when the game was close, they maintained it and didn't panic like they did in Arizona. Panic and desperation play does not equal success. Believing you have a chance all the way through to the last possible second matters most.

So, the Giants were a tough match, and they were on 10 days rest. So, not realizing it before during my predictions of the Eagles season, the Eagles faced the Giants on 10 days rest, next are the Steelers after their bye (at Pittsburgh) followed by another opponent coming off a bye as they host Detroit. So, let us take the Delorean back a few months and see what I predicted would happen on Sunday:

Week 5: Eagles at Pittsburgh Steelers
Ugh. Talk about a brutal game after a brutal opponent. The Superbowl year (2004-05) saw McNabb and Owens arguing (more like T.O. laying into McNabb) on the sidelines as they were only able to muster up like 3 points. The following year was a remarkable game that I missed due to a wedding. I remember listening to the game as I had recorded it on my Sirius radio and listened to it all the next day, without any knowledge of what happened. It was one of the best called games ever other than the Miracle at the New Meadowlands (from a Philadelphia broadcast perspective). This is tricky. The Steelers are getting old, but they still hit hard. So does James Harrison, and I have a bad feeling he could knock somebody out in this game. However, the Steelers have been notorious for letting opposing defenses raping the offensive line to take a sack to Big Ben Rapelsberger. I do think the explosiveness of the Eagles' offense can beat that defense, and the pass rush of the Eagles' defense can halt the Steelers offense. Simple game to predict actually, just worried about injuries. Eagles 20, Steelers 10 (4-1)

The Eagles may have caught a break as Polomalu is coming off an injury as is Harrison. Perhaps they will not be so impactful, but they are Steelers' legends. To have these players come back after a bye, at home, with a 1-2 record, makes them a nasty threat. Their defense will be jacked with their leaders back. Also, the Steelers offense has somehow become a major pass threat and lost their run game. The Eagles defense is pretty balanced right now, but I fear the Steelers can chip away. The key will be for the Eagles to have a more balanced offense and keep their defense fresh. The Pittsburgh run game is ineffective and the O-Line is still not as good as it was, but from what I hear the statistics of Ben Rapelsberger against the type of defensive front the Eagles possess are actually pretty good. But that is against opponents this year not as balanced as the Eagles. I predicted the Eagles would win 20-10. I think this will be another close game. But rather than a last series offensive drive, it will come down to a defensive stand holding the surging Steelers. Eagles 21, Pittsburgh 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment