Click Below! You Won't Be Disappointed!!!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

The Great Jim Duba Mobile App!

Touch My Face Any Time You Want

Scan the bar code or click here: TGJD Mobile App. Any time you need your Duba fix, tap my face! Like the best stalker, I am everywhere you don't expect me to be. Also, like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com/thegreatjimduba and follow me on twitter @thegreatjimduba. I know, I can't believe nobody else had the name either!

Jun 28, 2013

Second Annual Non-Football Sports Thoughts



Whoopity shit. The Miami Heat, by all accounts, won an amazing NBA finals. I watched the last half of the last game. I will admit, it kind of felt like the super bowl of the NBA. It was the last game of the year, not like the previous Game 6 where the season could have or could not have ended. I hate that. That's why I think I love football. If you don't bring your best that one day, you are done. Go home. Nobody remembers the loser. The second half of Game 7 saw the lead change several times, but I kind of felt like the night would belong to the Heat, at home in Miami, and especially after some dude sunk a loooong three point shot that was a perfect swisher as the buzzer rang on the third quarter. That put the Heat in the lead. The Spurs fought back, I think capturing the lead a couple times themselves. Then when I think the Spurs were down by like one or two points, Tim Duncan goes for a layup, but MISSES! He tried to knock in the ball as it rolled around the rim, but that fell to the floor. For the first time in that game, and apparently in the playoffs, Duncan showed emotion by slapping the floor in disappointment, mid play. I knew it was official then. A matter of minutes until the Heat won it again.

Why do I care about this game if I truly deep in my heart dislike the sport of basketball? Lebron James. Say what you want, but he is like the NBA's John Cena. I used to watch wrestling A LOT. John Cena came on the scene, and he was awesome. His wrestling was a little weak, but he had verbal skills with harsh raps that eventually turned him into a good guy, fan favorite. Then he started rapping about how his opponent liked poop and pee pee. I shit you not. I stopped watching. I have read a few things in preparation of this post. I also watched some videos as well. He is the star of the show now. Whether he fights for the title or not, he is this era's Hulk Hogan. Fans who are around my age or older boo the shit out of him. Youngins and ladies cheer him relentlessly. Watch the John Cena vs. CM Punk Match from the Money in the Bank Pay Per View a few years ago. I believe that was in Punk's home town of Chicago, so he was favored anyway. It is all fake I get it. But people toon in to watch Cena either win or lose. I tuned in to the four finals that Lebron James was in. Or at least tracked it and tried to watch highlights.

A chance to see the greatest basketball player play one last game of the year against a (as I had heard) great team after Kim had already fallen asleep for the night? That's a no brainer. I will watch. Lebron James stepped up scoring 37 points, tying an NBA record of some kind. Of course they also find a way to manipulate stats these days to make some new benchmark. I think it was something like Lebron has a record for the most games in a row with scoring a certain number of points while scoring on a certain percentage of his shots. It was a weird stat that people tried to make a big deal out of. So, that out of the way, well, I actually enjoyed watching this game and series and NBA end for the year. I don't care about the implications for the future of Miami, or the rest of the careers of the Spurs. I don't care about the high-top fade the 76ers now have.



I think this guy lives down the street from Brandon. Anywho, the 76ers drafted and traded players galore, but have no head coach. Good luck getting one now. It is much like the Eagles implementing a defense from a position coach THEN looking for a defensive coordinator...Sorry this is NON-football thoughts. It is hard for me to care about the NBA more now than just the Toronto Raptors Mascot failure videos (look him up). I will promise myself this - if future NBA Finals go to Game 7 and scores have been relatively close, I will watch that game only.


As far as the rest of the NBA section of my forum, it appears the 76ers have made it a "see you next year" season. I did hear the GM speak today, and it is the most energy he has had. He established his team first and then will probably land a coach soon. A coach who would be willing to develop players rather than target ones he wants. Perhaps a very good move that can make the 76ers exciting in the coming years.


So Chicago scored two goals in 17 seconds to win the Stanley Cup 61 seconds thereafter. I saw the flurry. It was amazing. And if you saw the players' reactions to the goal, it was as if that was the game-winning goal in overtime. Many threw their gloves off. How demoralizing for Boston to lose like that. It is one thing to give up the three goals, one per period. It is another to lose it like that. I am just glad we can put the Boston Marathon tragedy behind us, unless the Red Sox make it big. That would be horrible.

Locally, local sports radio tells me that the Flyers have shipped off a couple players, letting their stupid Russian goalie live the life for the next decade plus. And little kid stunt double Danny Briere is gone as well. The NHL Draft is this Sunday, where Europe's finest will be in attendance.

Tennis - Uh, I only ever cared when I was married, back when Marcos Baghdatis was playing and making a surprising run to the Australian Open finals. That was awesome. I was up at all weird times of night. One time he was in studio for an interview in Australia on ESPN, and a bunch of crazed Cypriot fans burst in. They shouted something in Greek to the host. Baghdatis giggled and told him they were saying that Marcos was crazy awesome. Instead they were chanting - "You are stupid" to the host. Well played. He then fizzled.

Golf - The US Open occurred at the Merion Country club, which apparently is the most popular attraction of all time in Philadelphia as it DESTROYED my commute home for up to a week before it started. The number of BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguars, and yes, SAABs, that passed me by and made their jerk out of state moves when traffic wasn't moving to begin with was staggering. I almost had to cut myself to let the boiling blood leave my body. That many people haven't stood around one hole since the Great Latvian Mine Collapse of 1847. (Shout out to my weirdos in Latvia!)

Baseball - Apparently, my alma mater, Cinnaminson High School, won their first Baseball State Championship. Good for them, but I don't really care. It is no longer my town and I have ZERO connections to anybody in that school anymore. My new home town's best accomplishment involved the film "Silver Linings Playbook" and could potential hold the record for most gay marriages ever if ever approved.

As far as the local team goes, the Phillies suck. Support them, so they have a team worth caring about. Just don't get your hopes up. As a die hard Eagles fan, one loss can ruin a week. But the next Sunday I am pumped up to see if they can win, even when the season has been lost. Support them. But I guess that is the problem with 162 games. If you could choose to go to 81 of them or watch 76 of them on TV, I am sure you would choose the latter. But if you go, stay there. Cheer them on. You never know when you might see something magical.

That said, the Phillies are dead in the water.

I really don't care about many other sports. Some former race car driver is picking on Danica Patrick for being more of a commercial than an actual race car driver. So says the old man former hillbilly who now slicks his hair back on national (read: southern) TVs across all of America (read: Confederacy).

Wrestling - Keep it in the olympics! It was the original competition in Greece, who you base the games off of. Who cares about the viewing popularity. Don't let the United States dictate this global event. I am sure several more people train/participate in the sport of wrestling than Extreme Knitting, Skateboarding, Fruit Booting, and even Diving. Just don't be stupid (anymore).

Bodybuilding - Joe Weider, creator of the modern bodybuilding championships, died. He must have been out of shape. In all seriousness, the magazines he issued were great until he took on ads for legal steroids that turned my 100 page issues of Flex magazine into 200 page advertisement opuses. Muscle Mag International is where it's at!

No comments:

Post a Comment